Happy Saturday! Well football season is upon us and if you are like us and love your football Saturday can be quite busy. Who are we kidding? Every Saturday is busy! This is a mainstay for us as a quick, healthy and easy breakfast to put together. It’s our Zucchini and Tomato Frittata. It’s gluten-free, vegetarian AND tasty! If you have an oven-proof pan it’s super easy to prepare, if not there’s just one extra step involved. It can be made ahead of time or put in the oven while you are getting your football stars ready for the gridiron!
Zucchini and Tomato Frittata – Serves 4
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil – (Oil from a Misto or spray oil lowers your calorie count by 35 calories per serving.)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan OR substitute 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast to make dairy-free.
- 1 garlic clove – minced, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp of Simply Organic Oregano
- 1 large tomato or 5-6 Roma tomatoes – sliced thin (1/4″ thick)
- 1 medium zucchini – sliced in coins 1/4″ thick
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil a large stainless skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs together along with garlic, salt and pepper
- To the hot skillet lightly saute the zucchini then pour egg mixture into pan and cook until eggs are set on edges. In a single layer place tomatoes on top of mixture.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast over the top of the tomatoes. Place skillet in oven and bake until eggs are set in the middle (8-10) minutes
- Loosen frittata from pan and slide onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.Note: If you do not have an oven proof skillet, saute the zucchini first then add the garlic, salt and pepper. Then add this mixture to a greased pie dish (the one shown in the picture is actually a tart dish) topping with the tomatoes and cheese. Bake for 18-20 minutes until eggs are set in the center.
- Have it for an “on the run” breakfast. Simply take a slice to go in the car. It stays together and doesn’t have any drippy ingredients.
- Have it after a workout. It has 15 grams of protein,140 calories and only 4 carbs!. If you use spray oil for the skillet, you will save 35 calories per serving.
- Serve a slice cut into strips over salad greens for a quick lunch.
- Have the “munchies” between picking the kid’s up and dinner? Grab a quick slice it tastes good cold too!
Have a great day and enjoy the warm weather while it lasts!
Love and hugs,
Donna and Daniela