Once again it’s that bittersweet time of year. The kid’s are back in school which marks the end of summer but that also means a little more time to focus on engaging in healthier eating habits. We find that having some snacks that you can make ahead are a great way to always have something healthy ready to go. Having items such as fresh cut celery, snap peas, cucumber spears etc. are a great way to go. If it’s ready you will reach for it versus other snacks (processed).
A great make ahead recipe is our Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Dip. It is a heavier than our pico de gallo or raw cucumber salsa but still healthy and packed with flavor and health benefits! This will keep in the fridge for several days and also makes a great appetizer! If you want to get fancy, pipe it onto an English cucumber slice and garnish it with a piece of basil. You don’t need a lot as the flavor is intense!
Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Dip
- 1 1/2 cups – tomatoes, dry variety, not packed in oil
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups white beans or chickpeas cooked (1 can)
- 1 ½ cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 cup kalamata olives pitted
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon , juiced (2-3 Tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons (6 teaspoons) olive oil
- 2 tbs white balsalmic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- Pink Himalayan sea salt, to taste
- In a medium bowl, pour boiling water over sun-dried tomatoes and set aside to soak for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Once tomatoes are soaked, remove from water and gently pat dry. Place everything except basil, parsley and oil into your food processor or Vitamixer. Process until quite smooth.
- Gently add in oil a teaspoon at a time until you get the consistency you desire.
- Add herbs and pulse until they’re evenly distributed, but still chunky.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of one hour. This dip will keep in the refrigerator for five days. In true Mediterranean style, it keeps getting better as time goes on!
This “dip” is great as a dip with fresh vegetables, gluten-free crackers or used as a spread in a wrap.
This will keep for 4-5 days in the fridge so it’s great to have on hand as an easy “go-to” snack.
Love and Hugs,
Donna and Daniela