Whew! Hard to to believe that it’s almost the end of July. Where did the summer go? Well before it totally disappears on us and the farmer’s markets follow suit, we thought we would share one of our classics. Pico de Gallo is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy summer’s harvest. We just love the versatility and freshness of this recipe and it’s EASY to prepare. Of course what makes it OH approved is that it’s not only tasty but has some of the following health benefits:
Benefits of Cilantro
- Helps remove heavy metals from your body
- Is a great anti-inflammatory herb
- Rich in magnesium, iron and phytonutrients
- Lowers blood sugar
- Helps with regulating hormones
So head out to your farmer’s market today and try out this recipe!
Pico de Gallo
- 1 1/2 pounds of fresh tomatoes – diced
- 1 medium white onion – diced
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro – chopped
- juice of one regular lime or two key limes
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 jalapeno – minced (you may omit or add more depending on your tastes)
- Rinse tomatoes and onion
- Dice tomatoes, onions and jalapeno. Rough chop the cilantro
- Put ingredients into a bowl. Add the salt and lime juice and mix well.
You can serve this immediately but it tastes better after it’s had a couple of hours to mingle in the refrigerator. Serve with cucumber chips, jicama chips or organic corn chips.
Have a healthy and blessed day!
Love and hugs,
Donna and Daniela