Thank you for the great response to setting goals for the new year. We received dozens of commitments to do The OH Detox to a “T” and specific self-improvement goals as well. From Lake Oconee all the way to Phoenix and several stops in between you have made a commitment and we are so excited for you! However we know it’s easy to find yourself in a compromising position if you aren’t prepared to overcome the challenges of a growling tummy or cries of “I’m hungry” from your kids!
We have heard from many of you “when you give up sugar, dairy, wheat and alcohol… what do you eat?”. We thought we would give you a few suggestions and recipes to get you started. As a side note the recipes listed below not only qualify for The OH Detox but would also be considered Vegan and Gluten-Free! The great part of the recipes below is that everything can be made ahead and either shaken, stored or heated at the moment needed! We will keep adding to the blog so stay tuned for more recipes and ideas!
Breakfast Power Smoothie
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 scoop of Epic Protein-Vanilla
- 1 handful of baby spinach or torn kale leaves
- 1/2 frozen banana (cut into pieces prior to freezing!)
- 1/2 packet of stevia
Place all ingredients into Vitamixer. Start blending on 1 and work your way up to 8. Blend completely for 30 seconds. If you want your smoothie to be thicker feel free to add a few ice cubes.
For a healthy snack have you considered popping some organic coconut oil popcorn? It’s easy, delicious and it makes a bunch! Popping with coconut oil gives you many health benefits along with that “buttery” movie theater flavor! Add several dashes of Himalayan pink salt and we’re talking money!
Coconut Oil Popcorn
Makes one REALLY LARGE batch of popcorn.:)
- 6 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup of organic popcorn kernels
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
Take a large (8 quart pot or larger) pot and place over medium-high heat. Get pot hot first then add coconut oil. After 1 minute add the popcorn kernels and cover pot with lid. Stay alert and give the pot a shake every minute or so that the popcorn doesn’t burn. When you hear a 2-3 second gap between pops you are done! Pour popped corn into a large bowl and salt immediately.
*Recipe can be halved but we like to make the LARGE batch to store for car, soccer and tweener snacks! Store in an airtight container and it will keep for a few days.
This is a veggie stir fry that cooks up fast. If you want to make it super easy you can find most of these ingredients already pre-cut at your local market. Again organic and fresh are best but if it’s not available don’t worry. Compared to the ingredients you would find at your local restaurant, you are still way ahead of the game. You can even find pre-cooked brown rice at Trader Joe’s for an ultra easy night in!
Vegetable Stir Fry
- 1 Tbs of organic cornstarch
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 yellow pepper cut into ½” pieces
- 1 red pepper cut into ½” pieces
- ½ cup of snow peas trimmed
- 3/4 cup julienned carrots
- 8 oz of mushroom sliced
- 1/4 cup coconut oil DO NOT USE OLIVE OIL!, divided
- 3 Tbs of water
- 6 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger root, divided
- 2 tablespoons wheat-free tamari sauce
- 8 green onions sliced thin on the bias
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, blend cornstarch, garlic, 1 teaspoon ginger, and 2 tablespoons coconut oil until cornstarch is dissolved. Mix in broccoli, snow peas, carrots, red and yellow pepper, and mushrooms tossing to lightly coat.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Cook vegetables in oil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Stir in tamari sauce and water. Mix in onion, salt to taste, and remaining 1 teaspoon ginger. Cook until vegetables are tender but still crisp.
- Serve as is or over brown rice.
* You can toss pre-cooked chicken breast or tofu with this for a complete meal!
We will usually make a little extra and it makes for a great lunch the next day!
Keep up the good work dear ones. We are only 28 days away!
Love and hugs,
Donna and Daniela