Brrrrr… It’s cold here!
We hope you all had and awesome week and have fun activities planned for the weekend. With the cooler weather upon us it’s a reminder that the holiday season is just around the corner. For those of us that are on a diet or are trying to prevent the “holiday bulge” it can be a challenge.
Over the next few weeks we will be bringing you healthy and tasty recipes to help you stay track, appetizer ideas and advice on how to handle social temptations that might sabotage your efforts.
One great appetizer idea that gets the green light is our Vegan Stuffed Mushroom recipe. These mushrooms are acceptable to the vegan (no cheese), gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free and low-carb crowd. Did we mention that these can be made ahead and then heated through just before serving? Here you go!
Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms
- 16 large organic button or baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 pound of eggplant, peeled and chopped small
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup of almond meal reserving 2 Tablespoons
- 1/2 cup of parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup organic olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray or wipe with olive oil.
- Pull the stems off the mushrooms and roughly chop. Brush the mushrooms caps with the olive oil.
- Mix the chopped stems with the parsley and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a fry pan over medium high heat. Add the rest of the olive oil. Put in the eggplant and red pepper. Sauté until golden. Toss in 2 Tablespoons of the parmesan cheese or almond meal and incorporate. Remove from the fry pan with and mix with the stem mixture.
- Spoon mixture into each mushroom cap. Place the filled mushroom caps onto the oiled baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the reserved parmesan cheese or almond meal over the top of the mushroom and bake in the oven until cooked, about 15 minutes.
There you have it! A delicious party appetizer that can be made ahead of time and served either hot or at room temperature.
Let us know what you think!
Yours in health,
Donna and Daniela