We hope you have had a great weekend thus far and that you enjoy your Sunday. We realize we have been sharing a LOT of information on GMOs the past two weeks but it thought it would be good to break it down into some manageable pieces. You may want to consider the reasons below on why to eat organic as well as the tips on avoiding GMOs.
- Organic food tastes great! It’s common sense — well-balanced soil grows strong, healthy plants that taste better.
- Organic food is more nutritious. On average, organic food contains higher levels of vitamins, minerals and important phytonutrients.
- Organic food is safer. Studies show that children who switch to an organic diet dramatically reduce the level of pesticides in their bodies.
- Organic standards prohibit toxic chemicals. Neurotoxic solvents, carcinogenic fumigants and genetically engineered organisms are strictly prohibited in organic food production.
- Organic can feed the world. Scientists and civic leaders in 57 nations have agreed that agroecological methods — not biotechnology — are the best hope for feeding a growing population. For more information go to www.cornucopia.org
5 Ways to Avoid GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms)
- Look for the label. Two labels will help you recognize food that does not contain GMOs. USDA certified organic or the Non-GMO Verified seal from the Non-GMO Project. For more information go to www.nongmoproject.org
- Avoid processed foods. Nearly 80 percent of packaged foods contain GMOs If you choose to buy packaged food be sure they contain one or both of the labels mentioned earlier. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) or corn syrup sweeteners come from GMO corn. Another toxic sweetener, aspartame (found in Diet Coke) is also a GMO.
- Avoid packaged cereals. Most are full of GMOs, even if they say “natural”.
- Buy grass-fed organic dairy and beef. Most milk, milk products and beef are usually from cows fed GMO corn or soy. One-third of commercial milking cows are injected with patented Monsanto GMO growth hormones called recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH). If dairy is not labeled organic or grass fed, at least look for labels that say no hormones or rBGH.
- Avoid products that contain the top 5 GM crops. Currently commercialized GM crops in the U.S. include
- soy (94%)
- cotton (90%)
- canola (90%)
- sugar beets (95%)
- corn (88%)
When you look at the percentages of the crops that are GMO you can start see where this is alarming. If we simply take the sugar beet percentage of 95% and consider the number of breakfast cereals and yogurts (so called “healthy” foods) that contain sugar we start to see the problem. We haven’t even touched on the rest of the grocery aisles with things like dressings, breads, cookies, crackers, pizza etc. that contain not only sugar but canola oil as well!
We know that many of you are trying to lose weight, eat healthier and put your own health into your hands. Considering and adopting the simple steps above will put you head and shoulders above where most people are at today. At Organic Housewives we sincerely care about you and your family and hope that you are able to implement some of these lifestyle changes into your current routine.
We also wanted to thank everyone for the purchases that you have made either in person or through the website. We are trying to make it even easier for those of you who live at the Lake and have teamed up with Oconee Interiors/The Kitchen Store and More and have our products available there as well!
They are located at:
Oconee Interiors & The Kitchen Store and More109 Harmony Crossing, Suite 2, Eatonton, GA
So whether it’s that great full-bodied organic coffee you are looking for or the best organic coconut oil, you now have another outlet to purchase from!
If you have any questions or comments let us know. We would love to hear from you!
Love and hugs,
Donna and Daniela