Happy Saturday! Well Fall is finally here up in Chicago. The weather the past two mornings has been glorious and crisp. It was definitely inspiration for a warm breakfast that fit all of the Organic Housewives criteria – tasty, easy to prepare and healthy. We thought you would enjoy our Zucchini and Tomato Frittata! If you have an oven-proof pan it’s super easy to prepare, if not there’s just one extra step involved.
Zucchini and Tomato Frittata – Serves 4
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil – (Oil from a Misto or spray oil lowers your calorie count by 35 calories per serving.)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan OR substitute 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast to make dairy-free.
- 1 garlic clove – minced, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp of Simply Organic Oregano
- 1 large tomato or 5-6 Roma tomatoes – sliced thin (1/4″ thick)
- 1 medium zucchini – sliced in coins 1/4″ thick
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil a large stainless skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs together along with garlic, salt and pepper
- To the hot skillet lightly saute the zucchini then pour egg mixture into pan and cook until eggs are set on edges. In a single layer place tomatoes on top of mixture.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast over the top of the tomatoes. Place skillet in oven and bake until eggs are set in the middle (8-10) minutes
- Loosen frittata from pan and slide onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.Note: If you do not have an oven proof skillet, saute the zucchini first then add the garlic, salt and pepper. Then add this mixture to a greased pie dish (the one shown in the picture is actually a tart dish) topping with the tomatoes and cheese. Bake for 18-20 minutes until eggs are set in the center.
- Have it for an “on the run” breakfast. Simply take a slice to go in the car. It stays together and doesn’t have any drippy ingredients.
- Have it after a workout. It has 15 grams of protein,140 calories and only 4 carbs!. If you use spray oil for the skillet, you will save 35 calories per serving.
- Serve a slice over salad greens for a quick lunch.
- Have the “munchies” between picking the kid’s up and dinner? Grab a quick slice it tastes good cold too!
Have a great day and enjoy the warm weather while it lasts!
Love and hugs,
Donna and Daniela