Hoping that your weekend is off to a great start and that we all enjoyed a “short week” this week! Thank you again for all of the positive feedback on our “Kid’s Healthy Lunch” demo last week. We know what a challenge it can be to pack lunch for our little one’s… they will always be our babies won’t they? So we were excited to share some ideas that we have found success with in our own children’s lives. One of the biggest hits were the gluten-free chicken tenders. They are flavorful, easy to make and kid approved!
Since these are “breaded” with gluten-free ingredients and baked instead of fried it really does provide a healthier alternative to traditional chicken tenders. We served these to the Mom’s the day after they were made so they would know how they would actually appear in their kid’s lunch boxes. Again, still a hit even though they are best when coming straight from the oven.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 pound of chicken tenders
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups of organic gluten free cornflakes crushed
- 1/2 cup of gluten free Boulder Granola crushed
- 2 tsp of Simply Organic Garlic Salt
- 1 tsp of Simply Organic Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Simply Organic Black Pepper – optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly oil a baking sheet lined with foil.
- In a ziploc bag place corn flakes and granola and crush to a small flake. This mixture can also be “pulsed” in a blender or Vitamixer. Blend in approximately half of the garlic salt, oregano and pepper. Then place crushed mixture onto a plate.
- In a small bowl add the two eggs and whisk together.
- Place tenders on a plate and lightly season with the other half of the garlic salt, oregano and pepper.
- Dip the seasoned tenders into the egg mixture and then onto the plate of seasoned mixture. Make sure to coat the tender completely.
- Place the “breaded” tender onto the baking sheet and repeat the process with the remaining seasoned tenders.
- When finished coating all of the tenders, place the tenders into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes (depends on thickness of your tenders) turning once halfway through until done.
Steps 1, 2, 3
Step 6, almost ready to place in the oven!
Voila! There not just for lunch, serve with a salad or veggies for a healthy dinner!
Yours in health,
Donna and Daniela